MEETINGS FACT SHEET
OVERVIEW: The rich legacy of The Homestead is reflected in the resort’s 72,000 square feet of sophisticated meeting facilities. 28 well-equipped meeting spaces range in ambience from historic to modern and in possibilities from small corporate meetings to destination weddings. All are complemented by more than 24,000 square feet of outdoor function space overlooking landscaped resort grounds and the surrounding mountains.
Among highlights of the expansive Conference Center are an elaborate 14,000-square-foot Ballroom and the two-level newly restored historic Commonwealth Room, arrayed with hand-painted murals. Less traditional venues serve as unique settings for truly memorable events, including the spectacular Tower Hospitality Suite, the Equestrian Show Ring, The Homestead Ski Mountain Lodge, Cascades Golf Club and the Outdoor Pavilion at the Shooting Club.
LOCATION: Surrounded by the beautiful Allegheny Mountains of southwestern Virginia, The Homestead is located in historic Hot Springs, 70 miles north of Roanoke and 170 miles west of Richmond. The resort is within driving distance of many metropolitan centers throughout the states of the Southeast and Mid-Atlantic. Bath County Airport is 20 minutes; Greenbrier Valley Airport is 50 minutes; and Roanoke Regional Airport is 60 minutes from the resort.
ADDRESS: The Homestead
1766 Homestead Drive
Hot Springs, VA 24445
Tel. (540) 839-1766
Fax (540) 839-7936
SHIPPING ADDRESS: The Homestead
7696 Sam Snead Highway
Hot Springs, VA 24445
CONTACT: Tim Bugas
Director of Sales
MEETING FACILITIES: The Homestead features 28 sophisticated meeting rooms, which accommodate 20 to 1,000 people and total more than 72,000 square feet of indoor function space, with an additional 24,000+ square feet of outdoor space. Among the highlights:
• A 14,000-square-foot Grand Ballroom with expansive bay windows, 22-foot ceilings and 6,000 square feet of pre-function space including a reception area and spacious outdoor terrace.
• The distinctive two-level Historic Commonwealth Room (7,000+ square feet) with hand-painted murals
• The 10,000-square-foot Regency Ballroom
• The spectacular Crystal and Empire rooms with grand columns and chandeliers
• The Tower Hospitality Suite, ideal for elegant receptions
• A historic 1920s 270-seat theater
• Outdoor pool area with more than 8,000 square feet of patio space
• Several beautifully manicured lawns and a formal garden
• An array of unique venues beyond the main hotel that include the Equestrian Show Ring, Mountain Lodge, The Cascades golf course, and the Shooting Club’s outdoor pavilion
BUSINESS SERVICES/TECHNOLOGY: The Homestead’s in-house experts provide groups with the latest audiovisual equipment for seamless presentations. There are T-1 lines and Wi-Fi available in all meeting rooms and all guest rooms. Meeting support services are available through the Business Center, which offers computers, phones, fax and copying.
TEAM BUILDING: Promote collaboration, creativity and productivity through a series of challenging activities that make the most of the resort’s 3,000 mountain acres in southwestern Virginia. Team building offers a fresh approach to the typical meeting experience, incorporating everything from ropes courses and survival games to scavenger hunts and wilderness adventures.
• High and Low Ropes Course: Tackle an exciting series of physical and mental challenges and tap into the power of creative and productive teams. The course boosts morale, inspires camaraderie and increases motivation. Participants learn to face their fears and take risks in a supportive team environment as they push their limits both individually and together. This course helps groups to trust teammates and work together.
• Trump….Are you Hired?: All participants interact in this high-energy game, perfect for ice-breakers and fostering creative teamwork. Participants will be split into teams and asked to complete both table-top exercises and some physical tasks that push the limits of resourcefulness and creativity. Teams will give their final presentation to the entire group and one winner will hear those beautiful words: “You’re Hired”.
• Catapult to Success: Catapult to success where participants have to design and build a fully functional catapult, test and compete for challenges of distance and accuracy. Following the brainstorming, testing the prototypes is the first test launch. Teams are provided with a unique set of materials and a budget to buy or negotiate with. The teams challenge themselves and come together to create the most effective and efficient catapult.
• Fire Quest: Fun, exhilarating and mentally demanding, FireQuest is designed to spotlight the importance of collaboration. After an introduction to the program concepts, teams are introduced to many new challenges, and are presented with various mental and physical challenges in which planning and communication are vital for success. Each team collects the tools necessary to build a small fire using flint and steel. In order to successfully start the fire, a team must utilize every piece retrieved.
• Homestead Scavenger Hunt: This fun team-based activity will send the group searching for specific items and clues. The group will be instructed to undertake an exciting quest of interpreting a series of clues and gathering key information. The group will be provided with the geographic parameters and a set time frame under which they must conclude their quest. The first team with the correct location will be announced as the winners.
RECREATION: The Homestead’s Allegheny Mountain setting is rich in recreational possibilities for leisure breaks and incentives such as:
• Two championship golf courses including the Cascades Course, the finest mountain course in the country, designed by William Flynn; and the Old Course, a Donald Ross design boasting the nation’s oldest tee in continuous use.
• Five-stand, skeet, trap and sporting clays at The Homestead’s own Shooting Club
• Horseback riding and carriage rides through the resort’s 100 miles of trails
• Four Har Tu and two all-weather tennis courts
• Orvis-endorsed fly-fishing on the Cascades Gorge
• Mountain biking/hiking
• Homestead History Tours
• Wilderness Wonders Presentation
• Scenic Drive Tour
• 270-seat historic theater with nightly movies
• Arcade Room
• Float Fishing
• Indoor/Outdoor swimming pools
• Lawn Games – volleyball, badminton, croquet, etc.
• Downhill skiing, snowboarding and tubing with instruction available
• Ice Skating
FOOD & BEVERAGE: Award-winning Executive Chef Sean O'Connell oversees The Homestead’s culinary operations, from catering special themed events to creating menus for the resort’s highly acclaimed restaurants. Groups can gather on the main grounds or choose from a selection of off-site private venues for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Or, guests may choose the formal atmosphere of the Main Dining Room, the more intimate 1766 Grille or the appealingly casual Sam Snead’s Tavern. Among the other options are Rubino’s at the Cascades Club, the Presidents Lounge – an upscale gathering place for cocktails and after-dinner drinks, the Players Pub sports bar with big-screen TV and pool tables and seasonal dining at The Homestead Ski Mountain Lodge and Casino Club.
ACCOLADES: The Homestead’s state-of-the-art meeting facilities have earned some of the industry’s top awards, including:
• “Top 100 Spa,” The Homestead Spa ranked # 2, Spas of America (2012)
• “Gold Medal Golf Resort,” The Homestead, Golf (2012)
• “Best Resort Course,” Cascades Course, Golfweek (2012)
• “500 World’s Best Resorts,” The Homestead, Travel + Leisure (2012)
• “Reader’s Choice Awards,” The Homestead was ranked in the Top 150 Resorts, Conde Nast Traveler (2011)
• “The World’s Best Hotels,” The Homestead was ranked in the Top 500 World’s Best Hotels, Travel + Leisure (2011)
• “Best of the South,” The Homestead, Meetings South (2011)
• “Best of Roanoke,” The Homestead received the platinum medal for best place to take a long weekend, The Roanoker (2011)
• M&C Gold Tee Award, Meetings & Conventions
• Gold Key Award, Meetings & Conventions
• Award of Excellence, Corporate & Incentive Travel
• Top Meeting Planners Choice Award, Meeting News
FOR FURTHER INFORMATION CONTACT:
Julie Shamrock Rollend
Hawkins International Public Relations
Tel. (212) 255-6541